These rules were decided upon at the Hollow Admin meeting dated 19 August 06, and are effective for all characters as of 1 September 06. If you are aware of a player violating these policies, please inform the admin immediately. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in an immediate warning. After that, if you still fail to adhere, your character may be subject to an autokill with or without warning.
Unlikely race combinations
Characters can only claim a maximum of two races in its ancestry, with the following caveats:
- Vampires can 'NOT breed. That is to say, that they cannot be born through conventional pregnancy because a vampire's body is dead and therefore cannot sustain life.
- In the case of pregnant women being sired, the woman's body more or less dies, and as such, can no longer sustain the child. As the vampire body can't sustain the child, the child develops the desire to leave the body as soon as possible. The vampire body treats it as a foreign body, rejecting it. Hence, the child is born prematurely. If the child is developed enough, it lives, if not it dies.
- Vampiric cross-breeds, such as vampiric elf, vampiric human, etc., can only take place via siring. Keep in mind that the rules for vampire breeding will apply to the cross-breed because their body is effectively dead. Essentially, if your character is sired, it becomes a vampire, with some remnant qualities of its old race.
- Vampires cannot be mixed with lycan- or dragon- based creatures, including draconians. The reason for this is that their blood is a toxin to the vampires and will kill them. Vampire blood is a toxin to lycans as well, and will kill them.
- In the same vein as vampires can only breed with other vampires, lycans can only breed with other lycans, because once your character is bitten it becomes a lycan, with some remnant qualities of the former race when not in lycan form.
- Dryads can be in a relationship with other races, however, they can not breed with them in any way, shape or form. The reason for this is that dryads are essentially asexual beings. Their offspring are always fully dryad and are always female.
- Half-breeds (half-elf, draconian, etc.) are sterile, meaning they cannot produce offspring of their own.
- Addendum - August 10, 2012
- The only Vampire base races which will be allowed from this point forward are: Drow, Dwarf, Elf, Feline, Gnome, Shadow Gnome, Half Elf, High Elf, Hobbit, Human, and Orc. Lycan base race restrictions are the same, although they may not be Feline. All other requests for Vampire or Lycan base races will be denied.
Angels, demons, gods, and goddesses
- Characters cannot embody these eternal beings in any way, shape, or form, nor control them as NPCs without express admin consent. Period, end of discussion.
Race Building Suggestions
When creating a character that has mixed ancestry or is two races consider that one race should be the ‘base’ this means that the vast majority of what applies to that race applies to your character and some of what applies to their secondary race applies too. This does not mean you should feel free to pick and choose your character’s abilities to create a super character. Characters should be offset slightly and should have a weakness. For example an elf had a human father, she is tall, fair and magically inclined like her mother but she has the slightly more muscular build of a human, this means she is slightly faster than a human but nowhere near as nimble and quick as full blood elves. Mentally she has the refined taste and quick wit of her elven mother but she also inherited human greed and feels more at home in the hustle and bustle of a market place than the “spooky” silence of the lush green forests of Kelay.
If your character is a vampire they always have vampires as their base. They inherit all vampire weaknesses. They almost always have the appearance of their original race if they were sired but as a rule of thumb only ¼ of their abilities. Vampires lose any ability that comes with a race from a generally good alignment. This means vampires who had holy powers prior to being sired, will no longer have such powers after siring, as wielding such magic would severely injure or kill them.
Drayds are asexual beings in the form of females. They can have partners but they cannot ever not even via magical means conceive a child. This is because dryad sorcery is inclined to the ‘Natural Order’ this means they cannot create creatures via unnatural means. Dryads are born to special trees once millennia instead.