Necromancers Guild Charter
Adorned in the top center margin with an arcane wax seal bearing the insignia of the Mage’s Guild
I. The name of said organization will be the Necromancer’s Guild; hereafter referred to within this document as the ‘charter organization’.
II. The purpose of this charter organization will be to further the knowledge, understanding, and practice of the arcane arts; with a specified focus on the Necromantic facets of magical work.
Operational Details & Hierarchy
III. The above stated charter organization recognizes the Archmage as the highest Mage within the realm and defaults final word regarding contested Guild matters to the Archmage’s judgment. The charter organization will maintain a Headquarters located The Death Cult Temple and will operate functionally and financially independent from the Mages Guild proper.
IV. The charter organization will be led by Joliette “Tenebrae” Frances Xaviera Thorne who will be recognized by the title Thanatos Domina; the heir apparent, should the above stated leader become unable to perform their duties through death, disability, or other unforeseen circumstances, will be Leifong.
V. Lorkain of the Death Cult Temple will be the official liaison between the Mages Guild proper and the charter organization. The remaining hierarchy of the charter organization will include the ranks and/or titles as described below.
VI. The Grades within the Necromancer's Guild; As set forward by the current Thanatos Domina, Joliette Thorne of Vailkrin
- A. Novus Morior
- Accepted for teaching by the Necromancer's Guild, the Novus Morior is a probationary student and may be removed by the Magister Letum at any time, with or without reason. A Novus Morior is expected to learn the very basics of the craft of Necromancy from Lorkain at the Death Cult Temple, and is limited to the study of necromantic theory, and the practice of minor spells, potions and cantrips. The Novus Morior is expected to find a sponsor from within the Necromancer's Guild under which they will serve as apprentice and scribe. Non attendance to duties for a month or more are grounds for automatic expulsion, unless notice is given.
- B. Sceleratus
- The Sceleratus (plural Scelerati), apprenticed to one of the title-holding masters, is primarily concerned with practical necromancy, with a focus on a maximum of two of the lower arts (specialist areas of study, as listed below). They must also have gained sufficient trust within the Mage's Guild to have earned a Guild Staff, admitting them to the Guild Headquarters.
- C. Thanadule
- Necromancers approved for this grade have become adept at their chosen arts (areas of specialist study), and may take on an apprentice from among the Novus Morior. They may also apply for one of the lesser titled teaching positions.
- D. Provectus Malus
- The grade of Provectus Malus signifies a powerful necromancer who has achieved mastery over at least three of the lower arts and have entered study of at least one of the higher arts. Once they have mastered a particular higher art, they may apply to teach it.
- E. Magister Letum
- Those seeking entry to the Necromancer's Guild should find the Magister Letum, as this grade signifies the person responsible for the day to day operation of the Guild. The holder of this grade is the apprentice and successor to the Thanatos Dominus. The Magister Letum has mastered all of the lower, and at least two of the higher arts.
- F. Thanatos Dominus - Master Necromancer
- The Thanatos Dominus (or Domina, for a female) must hold at least the rank of Magister Templi in the Mage's Guild, and is the highest grade of necromancer. They have a natural proclivity toward dark magic, and have mastered all higher and lower arts. They are also willing enter into great personal risk to refine those arts and add to the Guild's bank of necromantic knowledge, and are concerned primarily with matters of global importance. The Thanatos Dominus has final say in all Guild matters.
VII. The Lower Arts
- A. Poisons & Potions
- Instructor’s Title: Acerbitor
- Instructor’s requirements: Must possess a natural and keen interest in the discovery and production of poisons and potions that may be deemed useful to necromancy and the Dark Arts in general. Must be sufficiently specialized in the area of poisons and potions. Must hold at least the grade of Thanadule in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- B. The Black Tides (shadows, black fire& ice)
- Instructor’s title: Umbracryaestor
- Instructor’s requirements: Must be sufficiently specialized in shadow magic as well as both dark fire and dark ice. Must hold at least the grade of Thanadule in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- C. Curses, Incantations and Arcane Sigils
- Instructor’s Title: Luctisonus
- Instructor’s requirements: Must be extremely learned magical theory and the practical applications of sigils, words and sounds to the art of necromancy. Must hold at least the grade of Thanadule in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- D. Basic resurrection and summoning.
- Instructor’s Title: Vivus Nex
- Instructor’s requirements: Must have complete control over all creatures summoned with the lesser spells of necromancy, including insentient corpses and skeletals, as well as mastery over the summoning of minor spirits. Must hold at least the grade of Thanadule in the Necromancer’s Guild.
VIII. The Higher Arts The following Master Titles are available only to those who hold the grade of Provectus Malus and above:
- A. Fear Magic
- Instructor’s Title: The Atrocitas
- The Atrocitas not only instructs on the subject of Fear Magic in all aspects, but is concerned with the development and application of these skills at a Master level. Must hold at least the grade of Provectus Malus in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- B. Visceromancy, Carnology
- Instructor’s title: The Haruspex
- The Haruspex not only instructs on the subjects of Haruspicy and Carnology in all aspects, but is concerned with the development and application of these skills at a Master level. Must hold at least the grade of Provectus Malus in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- C. Re-animation and Flesh Golems
- Instructor’s Title: The Necrophidius
- The Necrophidius not only instructs on the subject of Reanimation and Flesh Golem construction in all aspects, but is concerned with the development and application of these skills at a Master level. Must hold at least the grade of Provectus Malus in the Necromancer’s Guild.
- D. Binding of Souls
- Instructor’s Title: The Animus Ligeratus
- The Animus Ligeratus not only instructs on the subject of the Binding of Souls in all aspects, but is concerned with the development and application of these skills at a Master level. Must hold at least the grade of Provectus Malus in the Necromancer’s Guild.
IX. Joliette ‘Tenebrae’ Thorne will have exclusive authority to dictate rank achievement and determine admittance to or refusal from the above stated charter organization at her discretion. All guild practices will be kept free of interference, bias, prejudice, and influence regarding any City-State, Clan, family, or personal agenda. Care will be taken at all times to maintain the highest standards of skill and quality that the Mage’s Guild currently represents. Should the charter organization bring undue harm or dishonor to the Mage’s Guild proper, the Archmage reserves the right to terminate this charter and sever all ties with the branch organization.
X. Regular communication between the charter organization and the Mage’s Guild proper, to include updated member rolls, ranks, and developmental changes will be required on a least a quarterly basis. Members will have full assistance from the Mage’s Guild proper in advancing the cause of magic within the realm and allowed free use of the Xalious Mage’s Tower for required training purposes. All members of the charter organization will be deemed honorary members of the Mage’s Guild proper and given appropriate respect and consideration as such; however, the members of the charter organization will not be awarded specified ranks within the Mage’s Guild proper or given a Xalious-wood staff unless they independently seek admittance to the Mage’s Guild proper. Any member of the charter organization will receive automatic consideration as an Entered Apprentice within the Mage’s Guild proper should they wish to undertake full dual membership and their current rank within the charter organization will be taken into account for considering more advanced placement.
- Magister Templi, Joliette Frances Xaviera Thorne
- Sublime Master, Tiphareth D’Artes
OOC Rules and Information:
- Only those with a base class of mage, illusionist, or necromancer are allowed for admittance.
- Members of the charter organization will follow each of the guidelines listed in the “Rules” section of the Mage’s Guild wiki page.
- The Necromancer’s Guild does not have minimum character age requirements, but grades beyond Novus Morior will need to be either RP’d into according to the guidelines set out above, as an ongoing apprenticeship, OR –will- require extensive RP logs deemed adequate by the Thanatos Domina over a period of time to establish the character’s master of any particular field of necromancy.
- All new applicants MUST enter as Novus Morior, and will be sorted according to the conditions above, at the discretion of the Magister Letum and, in the case of those wishing to enter as Thanadule of higher, the Thanatos Domina as well.